Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trader Joe's, Mutter Museum, Roebling Bridge, Riegelsville

Meandering Return.  After breakfast on the deck,dropped Jude near the museum and following carefully given directions found my way to Trader Joe's.  Oh--the joys of standardization--I loved wandering those familiar aisles.   On my many drives across country, I lament the lack of individuality--the endless chains of motels and fast foods--and here I am in Philadelphia all too happy to extol TJ's ability to replicate itself throughout the land.   This cannot be a good sign. 

After packing my car with many items I'd been missing, I walked to Di Bruno Brothers, an Italian market (well--really an upscale Italian food emporium with several outposts in Philadelphia).   Jude had suggested I walk there from TJ's, but the bagger there insisted the store on 9th Street was the place to go.  I considered that possibility, but decided I'd best not embark on urban car explorations and walked to the store on 17th and Chestnut. 

Much to my excitement, I passed the Mutter Museum of the College of Physicians.  I remembered that it's famous for bizarre and strange exhibits and was half tempted.  But my car was packed with groceries--nothing frozen, but I did optimistically include a  few items which would not profit from hours in a hot trunk, and I am always inappropriately anxious about leaving a car beyond its allotted time (the signs said one hour--but the lot was empty--and it was obvious the towing activity was below zero).  Plus I think I probably enjoy the idea of the grisly exhibits more than I would the exhibits themselves.  I just took a quick swirl through the Benjamin Rush herb garden, but if you want to check out the Mutter Museum, here it is:  Mutter Museum and then made my left on Chestnut Street to Di Bruno brothers.

Oh--it was a store full of scrumptious and gorgeously displayed items--cheeses, produce, meats-I could almost be happy enough just wandering the aisles.  I realized I hadn't bought any good car snacks at the Trade, and  although I wasn't particularly hungry, I do know how hunger functions--and thought it would be quite appropriate to buy some lunch provisions.

Always on the alert for little tastings as well as for sales, both things came together at the deli counter--where there were samples of a fairly good cheese an delicious salami--and there was indeed a sale--a half a pound of baked ham and a half pound of any deli cheese for $9.99.  If I chose the  gruyere at 19.99 a pound, this could clearly be a bargain.  Of course, the truth is I scarcely needed so much--but this is the famous Cosco trick--or quandary--and given my desire to make a purchase--I couldn't resist. Planning to make a sandwich,  I bought a challah roll, hurried back to my car (happy to find it secure in its TJ spot despite overstaying its welcome) and headed out.

I often get muddled leaving cities and this was no exception.  Perhaps I went west instead of east.  I straightened myself out relatively easily and  ended up on Route 611 which goes through Bucks County along the Delaware and was quite lovely.  All new territory.   I did a bit of map study and decided I could probably find a way to cross the river before Easton.  And indeed randomly making a right turn, I found a small green suspension bridge in Rieglesville (the towns in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania share the name).   I took a not very good picture, but many excellent views here: 

Riegelsville Bridge

I learned today from my friend Margaret that the bridge was  designed and built by John A. Roebling, who later designed the Brooklyn Bridge.  I might have once known but have surely forgotten that before that bridge was  built, he died of tetanus after a freak accident in which a ferry crushed his toes as he stood on a pier refining his bridge plans.  
   There is a trail along the Delaware canal that was quite lovely and runs for many miles.  Wanting to linger a bit but unable to deal with the logistics of sandwich making, I bought a New York Times and a cup  of very spicy and good gazpacho at the Figtree Cafe on the Pennsylvania side which provided enough sustenance as I wended my way north east --stopping to buy excellent corn and what looks to be a fine New Jersey tomato (not yet sampled). Arrived  home moments after a tiny rainstorm had cleared and sparkled the air, and made and ate my sandwich with great pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment