Saturday, July 30, 2011

More scapes and scrapes


more scraping

About to start scraping, Sam opened our new paint stripper and found it dubious.  We'd picked it off the sales table at Sherwin-Williams (I'd actually bought the same stripper last year off the same table)--but the new purchase was a different color and the cap had been eaten away.  It's officially "soy-based" and not as toxic--but this bottle did not inspire much confidence. The young salesmen didn't have much interest in our concerns, but they were happy enough to refund our purchase and send us on our way.  Next stop was Walmart--this New Jersey living provides all sorts of new retail experiences on a regular basis--our goal was to outfit Sam with rubber boots and sneakers so he will be happier walking on the newly mown roads when he takes breaks from his massive scraping efforts. And, indeed both products were readily available at ridiculously low prices--plus we bought an

As my efforts don't seem to be making a major dent in the project, I retreat downstairs for more research on home appliances and garlic scapes.  What can I say?  I am much happier thinking about cooking projects than buying sinks and faucets.  When Sarah was here, we all agreed on a quite perfect sink, which I will soon order--but I do procrastinate.

more scapes
As part of this procrastination, I cleaned the kitchen and experimented with grilling scapes for an afternoon snack.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing--I had imagined long perfectly grilled coils--but the grilling wasn't even.  The more narrow bits, especially when they were charred a bit were perfection--the thicker sections did not quite cook through--perhaps they should have been peeled.  I ended up cutting them into three or four inch segments, topped them with ground pepper, salt and lemon juice.  I'd eaten all the less then perfect segments before bringing the remainder to scraping Sam who found them a splendid delicious mystery treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment