Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Scapes, scraping and more..

Wednesday

Sam had to be in the city to move out of cousin Jame's apartment and let in the cleaning lady.  To facilitate all this, I drove him to catch the 9:03 train in Dover. 

scrapes
scapes
Before leaving, I packed the car with recyclables, and most efficiently stopped at the dump on my return trip.  Also stopped at Ideal Farm and Garden store on Route 15.  It's the heir to Ideal Farms, the dairy farm that was our neighbor through the fifties and sixties.  The Guernsey cows are long gone, but there are various allusions to those dairying days around the current shop where I picked up a few tomatoes and garlic scapes.  I don't know if I'd ever seen these green curlicues before.  I haven't tackled them yet, but a bit of internet research suggests that scapes might be the secret to all things.  Although I don't believe I've ever even seen them before, they are clearly have been an item in the food world for at least three years as evidenced by this article from the New York Times.  First the dump, then garlic scapes and the New Yorker in my P.O. Box.  A fine day indeed. Home before 11:00am and using array of new scraping tools made serious inroads on door project--though not quite sure how much change is visible to the naked eye.

While I scraped away at centuries of paint, the men from Fish and Game were circling the lake with their very large machinery.    Finishing their labors for the day, they left their Brush Bull resting on the lawn.   I circled the lake and walked down to Hyper Humus marveling at all the shearing they'd done as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment