Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Luther Hill Corn

The other night, Laura reminded me of Luther Hill Corn.

One of the great treats of our childhood summers were ears of a very small sweet white corn.   Last year, the corn I'd bought at stands was good--it certainly seemed better (might be a trick of New Jersey) than California varieties, but nothing quite measured up.

I did some research and discovered that it was in fact bred in 1902 in Andover, the next town over.

Further searches led me to this article from the New Jersey Herald, packed with all the information I needed including a lead to a local farmer who has been growing the corn for the past 25 years.  A few days later, I stopped at the Valley View Farm Stand.  They do indeed sell Luther Hill corn in September.  It was a Sunday, lots of customers, so I did not add my name to the list of people to be called when the corn comes in, but I will do that--and come September will get some genuine Luther Hill.  Praise be.

It's too late this year, but if you're interested you can order the seeds from CherryGal Heirloom Seeds and see a lovely picture as well. Come September, I'll have my own photos, but this will have to do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment