Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Philadelphia visit

No house work today.  I drove to Philadelphia to visit Jude and Alexander.    Their weekends were booked up way into August--and it's not clear what the work schedule will be here, so when Jude suggested that I could just come on a weekday--lunch together--then visit the museum (she works at the Philadelphia Museum of Art) until she finished work, it sounded like a perfect plan.  And indeed it was.

The first time I'd spent a night away from this house this season -reminded me what a happy traveler and sight-seer I can be.

The drive took longer than expected--an accident on 278 slowed things to a crawl--and much of the route is not on highways--not traffic jams, but slow moving through Princeton and other picturesque towns.  Nonetheless, I'd allowed plenty of time and turned onto Pennsylvania Avenue--at almost exactly 12:30--the time we'd set for lunch.  As I was about to call Jude, she beat me to it.   I told her I'd be in front of the Perelman meeting in two minutes.  Indeed I was, and she arrived seconds later.  Perfect timing all around.

We lunched in the Museum Cafeteria--she went back to work--and I spent hours wandering through the Museum.  I've always thought of the Philadelphia Museum as one of the grand ones--and grand it is--with a terrific collection--but in comparison with the New York museums it was practically empty--with room after room of fabulous stuff.

After many happy museum hours, met Jude when she finished work and drove to her new house in Germantown.

We whipped up a meal, most of the ingredients coming from their CSA delivery--kale salad, tomato and basil salad, boiled potatoes with butter and parsley, and some left-over curry and dined on the deck--

After dinner, Alexander had work to do and Jude and I took a quick tour around the neighborhood.  Huge variations block by block, but the stone houses on the avenues --- now--or perhaps always--duplexes--were enormous and imposing.

One local landmark is the Wyck House, dating from the earliest 18th century, now the site of a community garden, Farmer's Market and much more.  It was closed up tight when we walked by--but it will be worth a visit another day.    The website is full of both permanent and temporary information:  Wyck House

Then back to the house to pack up the re-cycling.  The pleasures of city living--curb side pick-up--no trips to the dump necessary.

Then to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment