Saturday, August 7, 2010

Journal: August 7th. Propane, cousin Naomi visits, State Fair and more. .

The first task of the day: get propane.  The chicken from last night is less than half-cooked. Cousin Naomi (nee Naomi Glauberman) is driving out from Hackensack.  My plan is to get the propane--cook up food that didn't get cooked last night--and then?

Not clear.  I'd gotten a lessen in propane tank removal and attachment from fisherman Rick the night before, but didn't quite recall it.  I brought the tank to Gasorama, got it filled and brought it down the hill in the wheelbarrow--but reading the warning filled instructions for installation, I was filled with fear.  Called Laura for propane advise.  No answer.  Then called Logan--I was having trouble with part identification--what exactly do they mean by valve?  The one I'm supposed to turn to the left?

Perfectly installed tank
Logan is home to answer my queries.  It's of course ridiculously easy.  One more suburban mystery mastered.

A short while later, Dave arrives with his lawn-mower.  His mowing had been interrupted the other day when a chain broke-and he has returned to finish the job.

As he mows away, cousin Naomi arrives.  Like several recent guests, she has been suffering from an upset stomach, so barely eats my fine propane grilled food.  She's wearing sandals, so a country walk is not a great idea, but Logan had reminded me that the  Fair had just opened in Augusta.  So off we went--two Naomi Glaubermans to the New Jersey State Fair.  My first memories of cotton candy and mid-way games (throwing balls at wooden bottles, etc) are of this Fair--but we never even make it to the Mid-way.  Due to my various house obsessions, I end up having long discussions with landscapers, chimney installers, and only get the briefest look at prize cows and vegetables before it's time to leave.  Naomi doesn't want to drive in the dark--and this is a desire to which I am most sympathetic.

When we return from the Fair, Logan is at the house with Gabrielle.  He's been planning to cut down one of the trees near the lake all day, and manages to get that done just before night falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment