Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Journal: August 31. Cleaning and Digging


Taking advantage of Johnny's back hoe and truck, the first task of the day was addressing the garbage and debris, which despite my best efforts to cart out weekly remove my weekly township allotment of household garbage to the end of the road, has been steadily accumulating since my arrival.

The gathering of garbage
It didn't take long for the four of us (again, with the aid of the back hoe--particularly useful for toilet and roof tile removal) to completely clear the area.  Since I have to admit to having vague fears that I would turn into the kind of person whose yard was a collecting ground for all sorts of historic treaures, the whole thing is a great relief.  Even managed to get rid of the horrid blue bedroom rug that I'd successfully rolled up yesterday.  Halleluljah!

W
The Loading.
Who would have guessed this emptiness would be so rewarding?

The day was heating up.  I retreated downstairs and then in succession to the air-conditioned library where I returned piles of books on porches and siding, to the air-conditioned diner where I happily ate a deluxe hamburger and to the air-conditioned homegoods store where I bought another rag rug, a little bamboo mat for the bathroom and a springform cake pan.  Apples, pears and coffee from the un-air-conditioned Windy Brow farms, then home to find George, Chris and Johnny gone for the day.  Lots of work in my absence.  Plywood on Porch and due to grading, removal of grass in  back yard. No mowing for a while, but still, some absences are less appealing than others. 
No Grass in Backyard
More porch than not.
 
No Trace of Garbage Pile.


No comments:

Post a Comment