Sunday, August 15, 2010

Journal: August 15th. Shopping in the Rain.

Jackie arrived on bus at 12:30.  A quick drive in the rain to look at house with Glacier Blue (dark grey to me) siding.  It is a grey and dreary day.

We return home.  I make cucumber and radish sandwiches on onion pockets.  I had always thought these soft rolls with slivers of onions were an exotic New York City delicacy.  My aunt Pearl used to bring them when she visited.  (Is that possible?  I don't know).  I had so associated them with long ago family gatherings, I'd never thought of them as every day food.  And yet--there they were in Shop-Rite.  In a little compartment right next to many varieties of bagels.  Sam and I had eaten these sandwiches on Thursday---and I'd been distressed that the rolls were sold out on return trips to shop-rite Friday and Saturday.  Praise be, there was a huge pile at noon on Sunday, when I stopped in before meeting Jackie at the big parking lot in back of Shop-Rite--our local bus stop.  We also had  Also tomato salad--and some left-over grilled chicken with the plum chutney.   Very delicious.

In hopes that the sun would come out, I'd hung a load of laundry on the line.  But--i had to admit there was no hope of sun-drying.  So--into the dryer with the laundry and off to Homegoods with Jackie for some rainy day shopping.
Jackie was looking for some simple picture frames.  I need many many things--but am reluctant to buy anything  because eventually the entire house will be dismantled and reconstructed.  There is so much stuff here already--it seems crazy to add more items which we wil just have to keep moving around.

I did however buy a huge and excellent Le Creuset casserole 5.5 quarts (it was the only one there--it was a seconds and on clearance to boot--an excellent deal)   and a sweet little Indian rag rug, a meat thermometer, 2 light green cups, 2 big pillows and a wire standing shelf for the bathroom.  Jackie got a rug and a bright blue paring knife.   We are not shopping pros but we are trying.

We were trying so hard, we stopped at Wal-mart--where we got some ridiculously cheap pillows and a can of Campbell's tomato soup.

Then home to cook ourselves a delicious dinner--sauteed tilapia with a tomato, onion, green bean stew (cooked in le creuset), corn, tomato salad and fried plantains.

No comments:

Post a Comment