Friday, August 6, 2010

Journal: August 6th. More garbage. Garlic. Dinner.

Garbage chores in the morning. No recycling, just  four bags of garbage to the end of the road along with a chewed up speaker and large moldy cushions. Then off to shopping for dinner with Regina and Karen and Steven Altman. The organic farm was open around the corner from the post office. I'd thought it's opening and closings were completely random, but the young woman sorting beans informed me they open  on weekends. Although she was there,  the basic payment system was the same. Money put in a slot--beneath a sign that says--don't have current change or a check? pay the next time you're here. I did have correct change for my two lovely garlic bulbs, beautiful stripped zucchini and funny little cucumber seconds.

The moved clothesline doing its job.
Back at the house, things moving along.  Clothesline moved in preparation for porch demolition.
Regina arrives to help prepare dinner.  She makes a panzella--a tomato and bread salad with fresh mozzarella and cucumbers.  I'm grilling vegetables--asparagus, eggplant, onions, zucchini, peppers and corn--and chicken and tofu as well.  Oh--and there's cheese--and smoked oysters with jalapeno jelly, olives, etc. for appetizers.

Karen and Steve arrive.  He seems to be coming down with something--I have a short conversation with him (as I grill) about my fears that I might run out of propane.  He takes to the bed--and sure enough I run out of propane.  Luckily, there's so much food, we did quite well without the corn and chicken and tofu. Steve, of course, eats nothing, but we are eventually joined by fisherman Rick who has a bite or two.

Despite a fine assortment of setbacks, a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment