Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Journal: August 24. Porch work. Taxes.

chaos and progress, porch with petunias
Gray and chilly.  George and Chris working on porch.  It doesn't look like much, but the concrete has hardened and posts are in place.  We are definitely moving towards something. 

I finally received my  invitation to Lena ad Julian's wedding--the second one--the first is still in postal limbo.
On the way back from the post office, I decided to investigate a hand-written sign announcing vine-ripened tomatoes.  Driving up a long driveway from 206, I found series of buildings perched on a ridge, a house, a greenhouse, sheds, etc.   The owner seemed surprised at my arrival and happily sold me all the tomatoes on his table for $2.00.  There were four or five pounds-- quite a haul.  And this morning, George delivered a care package from his garden--light green frying peppers, a white eggplant and a pint or so of perfect cherry tomatoes. Produce galore.

It was a big mail day.  My post office box is often empty, but today, in addition to the wedding invitation, I received my tax bill from the township.  It was relatively incomprehensible;  tomorrow I'll go in and have it explained.   

The ground is very wet, so although Johnny (Johnny, the grader, not Johnny, George's assistant)   came by with his excavating machine,   it was  decided they had to wait and  grade on another drier day. 

The rains continued off and on.  George and Chris left.  I walked around the lake, then up the hill towards the road and wandered into the neighboring field, now covered with Queen Anne's Lace

No comments:

Post a Comment