Monday, August 9, 2010

Journal: August 9. Very rotten porch roof beam

The soon-to-be-replaced rotting timber.
Saw first hummingbird--dashing from flower pot to flower pot first thing this morning--hooray!!

Well that was perhaps the good news for the day. George and Johnny, beginning the work on the porch, discovered that the beam on which the whole roof theoretically rests is as rotten as can be. Worse than they expected. A setback--but I have to admit, I've assumed they would discover such things ("I didn't expect it to be this bad," George says). To make matters worse, the rafters don't even extend to the beam--and the whole business smells of the bats who must have lived there for many years.

George and Johnny spend much time in theoretical discussion over possible paths--none of it is terribly clear to me--and although I'd like to think I'd want to be on top of all of this, I'm just as happy I realize, to let the details drift by.

Chris is here for a bit. He shows me how to remove and put on bag for lawn mower--and also how to raise and lower blades. let us hope I remember this for the next round.

George leaves early. His daughter Rachel has terrible poison ivy--he is taking her home, ordering the necessary roof beams and returning in the morrow.

Johnny stays behind to paint the new windows in the study and to clean up the masses of debris that are rapidly accumulating on the porch--and I mostly try to sit very still so as not to notice the rising temperatures and humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment