Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Journal: August 11. More rotting porch. Cousins in New York.


 
Sarah, Sam, James and Scott at Congee Village
Porch work continues.
George and John build elaborate apparatus of jacked up pieces of wood to support sagging roof as they prepare to install new mighty beam.

My wireless charger appears to have died. I dash over to local Verizon outlet, but of course they can do nothing. I will have to go to Rockaway Mall where I bought it. Could be a lot worse. Mall is about half an hour away, just off of 80. I can easily stop en route.

George worries that perhaps Sam and I will stumble through all this construction when we return late this evening, but I assure him I will remember the porch is full of holes and head off towards the big city.

The stop at Rockaway completely successful. Young clerk is mystified by non-working charger. I often feel guilty i these encounters, thinking perhaps I've bruised some delicate equipment--but this time I know I am innocent. The charger has just been sitting quietly for weeks--transmitting power from my weak electrical lines to the little wireless device which beams messages to my computer. Suddenly it stopped. I had filed the receipt in my plastic file box-along with all the old photographs and memorabilia we've uncovered, so I am well prepared. A short wait. A new charger. And I am on my way.

Third trip to La Guardia in two weeks. I can do it now without my wise telephone navigator--GW Bridge to FDR Drive to RFK (previously--and perhaps forever known as Triborough Bridge) and on to Terminal B (or is it C?).
Arrive at airport in excellent time.  Sam and I drive into city, arrive minutes before six--perfect tie to get parking place almost right across the street from Congee Village Bowery Restaurant where we are meeting Sarah and cousins James and Scott Jacoby for dinner.

First a little window shopping followed by happy hour beers on Elizabeth Street.  Most jolly dinner--extraordinarily delicious chicken--deep fried (but we didn't even know it) with garlic slices and many delicious chinese spices--and excellent family catching up all around.  Sarah and the cousins headed off for more good times, as Sam and I drove back to Newton--were there in less than an hour, and carefully avoided falling into holes on porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment