Monday, August 2, 2010

Journal: August 2nd. LaGuardia again. New York City visits.

Sam with trimmed beard and haircut
George and Chris arrive around 9 am, just as Sam and I are leaving to drive to La Guardia.  He's flying off to Milwaukee, where he'll spent the night at Carrie's family house in Shorewood before driving to a distant island in Michigan with Carrie, her dad and two younger brothers for a week long canoe trip.

We've rehearsed this drive the week before with Carrie, so now we scarcely need our Droid navigator as we transition from 80 to 95 to the FDR Drive to the RFK Bridge to La Guardia.  Lots of house work will continue in our absence.

I'm meeting Nancy at her apartment for lunch, and manage to get myself to 79th street at the exact moment Alternate Side of the Street parking went into effect.  Cars are neatly double-parked on the north side of the street, and I despair of finding parking for the next hour and a half.  No--I don't despair--I like to imagine I once had excellent parking karma and although I haven't called on it lately, I'm hoping it might still exist.  And indeed--as I drive up and down the streets from Broadway to Central Park West, I eventually get into another zone -- the streets had been thoroughly cleaned an hour earlier.  Of course, these coveted spots are already taken, but the parking gods are smiling--a huge truck pulls out--and three spots open on West 84th Street.  It is Tuesday at noon, and I can remain there--if I so desire--until 8 am on Thursday.  Praise be.  I am so elated that I practically float to Nancy's--stopping only--in a bit of enthusiasm more suited to a 6 year old boy-- to take pictures of the fire fighters and hook and ladders  engines clogging  West 82nd Street.

Nancy's mother, an artist, died last March, and Nancy's apartment is now overflowing with her quite extraordinary work.  I get to take in a small sampling before we head out for an excellent Thai lunch on Broadway.

As Nancy returns to work, I wander through Barnes and Noble and Zabar's (where I buy what I hope will be excellent red ceramic knives) while waiting for a call from my cousin Jeannie who lives in the neighborhood.

Jeannie and her husband, Raymond have just completed a massive remodel of their always excellent apartment--sweeping views in three directions--and we have a fine visit.  Our parents were sister and brother--and we are just one week apartment--so there is always family business--both ancient and contemporary to catch up on.  She promises to try to make it to the country some day soon and off I go.

I'd thought I might do some walking, but despite my "light" packing, my laptop--which I now bring everywhere--is heavier than I want it to be--so I scotch (is that a word?) all walking plans--and take the subway straight from Central Park West to Jackie and Andre's in Soho.  Sarah meets us there--and she and Jackie and I have an excellent Sushi meal at the Sun Cafe in Tribeca.  After dinner, Sarah bikes off to Brooklyn and Jackie and I return to her house, where I'll spend the night. 


Sam and I leave Sam flies to Milwaukee Parking on upper west side. Lunch with Nancy. visit with cousin Jeannie. Dinner with sarah and Jackie at sun Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment