Monday, October 4, 2010

Journal: October 4th. Rain. Rain. Mud and Rain.

A dark and rainy day.  As most excellent parking place on Thompson and Spring was good only until 11, it made no sense to linger in the city.
I had some large screen movie cravings (induced both by the proximity of so many new york city theaters and the sadness of the closing of newton theater) and decided that if traffic co-operated, I could make a 10:30 am showing of The Social Network at the Rockaway Mall.  So many worlds so near, and yet so far.  I'd never been to the movies there--my new jersey movie memories are rooted in the great movie palaces of journal square--the Loew's and  the Stanley and then there is that tiny Newton theater--but needless to say, the AMC 16 at Rockaway Mall could easily be in the San Fernando Valley.

So many bonuses--all showings before noon are $6.00, for which you get seated in an enormous stadium style theater with four other people.  The movie crackled from start to finish, and after a stop for a "Hollywood Burger" at the Jefferson Diner just down the road, I returned home to a cold and damp house on Hampton Lane.

John, the landscaper, was just leaving as I arrived.  He'd begun the second wall, but the rains were heavier, and he was calling it quits.  It was clear that he was going to need another pallet of stone, so before settling in, I stopped at the stone yard and placed my order for pallet #3 of rattled weathered blue stone.   

No comments:

Post a Comment