Monday, September 27, 2010

Journal: September 27. Rain. Geese landing on lake.

Scores of barely visible geese in rain

Oh the noise of those geese.  Scores of them are arriving nightly.  I've been told that the geese migration (due to climate and habitat changes) is now from northern to southern Sussex County, but wherever they are going, they do seem to spend the night on what I continue to think of as "my" lake, even if it does officially now belong to the state of New Jersey.

Johnny, the grader was here for a very few minutes this morning (before the rains began).  He drew some orange and white chalk lines in the dirt.  I was heading out to offer him coffee, but by the time I got there, the rains had started and he was gone.  It rained all day.  I did some minimal sorting, but it was a basically a day of no house progress and honking aimless geese.

The day was so long and gray, it seemed a good evening to go the little movie theater in Newton.    To my dismay, discovered that the theater, which was built in 1924, and was in operation not that long ago, seems to have gone the way of small town movie theaters in America.  I didn't think it was a good sign that all seats were always $7.00, but did appreciate that it was still there.  Alas, I just learned that it closed for good last Friday.   According to an article in the New Jersey Herald, there are no plans to re-open it and the site is being considered for a bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment