Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Journal: October 6th. Rain ceases. Front yard cleaned.

It wasn't quite as cold today, but I am going to go ahead and get some kind of space heater.  

This morning, John, the grader, arrived before eight.  The ground was too muddy for wall building, so instead he was going to make a dump run.  Taking advantage of the sun, I'd showered (the house wasn't exactly cozy, but it was easy to imagine it warmer, so a shower wasn't quite so intimidating as it had been yesterday.  After my coffe, I joined John in his truck loading activity. These jobs all take so long.  Labor really is laborious.  No way to load the truck but to pick up all those bits of wood and insulation,carry them to the truck and toss them in. Over and over and over again.
 
















It took a while, but we loaded up everything.  I'd thought George might have wanted some of the cleaner wood, and sure enough, as he drove up, he instantly lamented that the wood he'd hoped to use for kindling was now deep in the truck. I'd even thrown in some of the black plastic sheeting that I'd been steadily removing from the garden.  Off to the dump with all of it.  Praise be.

Oh, so very much to do.  It's true that in all my house planning, I really never got much beyond bat removal--all this grading, cleaning, and wall building was never on my agenda--and yet, that is the work of the summer.
With the front yard clean, time to once again think about space heaters.  I thought I'd do some very serious shopping and stop all stores in the neighborhood. I left the house with a huge plastic bag of sheets to donate in one of the many donation boxes that appear in most of the stores parking lots.  That accomplished, I went to Lowe's.  I thought this would be the first of many spots, but they were selling  an oil-filled radiator for $40.00.  George had said these were good, the sales person was more than enthusiastic--warning me to stay away from all higher priced models, so buy it, I did.

Now I have a space heater.  It is however a bit warmer tonight and as  I'm not that eager to develop a heater habit,  it is still sitting snugly in its box.   It might not be ready to show off its heating capabilities, but it is ready for its close-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment