Thursday, October 7, 2010

Journal: October 7. Second wall on its way. The return of Trooper Joe.

The day started gray and drizzly.  The skies soon cleared enough for me to hang my clothes out to dry, but the temperature never rose as high as promised.  I haven't yet unpacked the heater, but much talk and pondering about heat.  Carl, the plumber, will come some time next week to install the new oil tank.  I've placed a call to John Wallis, whom I hope will inspect the boiler before that occurs.

My thoughts are turning again to wood stoves.  John Meyer, the wall builder (he is making great progress on the second of the three retaining walls on the side of the house), told me that he has put in a wood burning stove which he's quite pleased with.  It works well and has reduced his oil consumption.

Late in the afternoon, Joe, the state trooper and friend of Scott, stopped by to ask if it was alright if he walked around a bit to stake out a good spot for the opening of duck hunting season on Saturday.  As we chatted, noting the pile of wood on the front lawn, he asked if I needed a wood stuff.   He highly recommended his own stove vendor, who supplies both used and new stoves, so perhaps that too will happen in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment