Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Journal: October 26th. Massive Siding Removal

I have been shamefully derelict in these postings--but will try to make amends.

I've been keeping notes (of sorts) and will try to fill in past days (oh I am addicted--in theory at any rate--to staying true to the chronological record though no-one cares but me).

Johnny finished painting the columns yesterday and began removing the siding in the front of the house, but didn't come in today due to a dental emergency.  George had work elsewhere, but when he called in, I asked him if it would be alright if I tackled the siding removal.  I'm always a bit concerned that my helping with construction efforts might lead to irreparable damage, but he assured me I would do no harm. I'd been planning to continue with my vacuuming of the baseboard heating fins and removal layers of soot, but the day was balmy, so I abandoned all indoor cleaning efforts for some serious outdoor work.

Equipped with two hammers and a tall step ladder, I began the chore.  I'd read somewhere that a good worker removes the nails from discarded wood, and although close inspection of the debris Johnny had piled up yesterday revealed he didn't do that particular chore.  He, unlike me, doesn't have to prove he's a good worker.  Alas, I have so much to prove.  In any case, I began pulling off as shingles, removing all nails, those that came out with the wood, as well as those that stayed behind, as I went along.

Not particularly pleasant work.  The vinyl siding above the cedar shakes had been put up so poorly, and the cedar shakes have been on so long they have provided housing for bats and insects and who knows what else for decades--lots of bat guano, foul smells, rotting wood.

But, it did have its pleasures and satisfactions.  Along the way, I found a label on one of the shakes--including the excellent message:
"It is not intended that Creo-dipt shingles give a uniform appearance.  Uniformity is monotonous. A little irregularity is artistic." There you have it.

As I've learned from watching the work around me, everything takes a long time, and as I am assuredly slower than most, it took the better part of the day for me to finish.  The nail removal adds time and I did have to pile all the debris away from the house. It was after six, almost dark, and beginning to sprinkle a bit when I finished, but the house looked great.  The dark brown wood makes me think I might be happy with brown siding instead dark grayish blue I had chosen.  I will have to drive around a bit and see if I spot a brown I like.


It's possible I just like what's in front of my eyes at any given moment.   Right now the brown looks more natural--but brown siding might look like fake doubled.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment