Saturday, October 16, 2010

Journal: October 16. Heat on the way.

Oh--summer is indeed over.  Cold and blustery weather continues.   The dirth of heat is now painfully apparent.   Today, Karl, the plumber returned to finish installing the oil tank.     Lots of jack-hammer work--as he has to drill through many inches of concrete ceiling.  He tells me that he thinks this might have been built as a bomb shelter--but since my parents owned the house during most of World War II, I tell him that is highly unlikely.    
Once I get oil delivered,  I will have heat and will also be almost an environmental criminal--with a GIGANTIC carbon footprint--but I am told it's very difficult to retrofit an old house like this.  I could (and probably will)supplement the oil with a wood stove, but at this point, it is impossible for me to bypass the oil.    Nonetheless, concerned that I might never have any real heat, I finally  unpacked the electric heater I bought last week.  I have it  plugged in next to me like a little puppy dog. Uh--oh I was thnking it was getting warmer in here, but just noticed that i had the thermostat turned to zero--so there is no heat at all. Viva the placebo effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment