Friday, October 28, 2011

Progress in the sun

A day of sun.  Big snow predicted for tomorrow.  The siding is almost finished.  Preparation--removal and replacing of rotting beams, fixing windows, leaks, etc. took weeks, but once repairs were made, the actual tacking up of the siding was almost instantaneous.  From a distance (or maybe even in this picture), the glacier blue vinyl siding does look like wood--but it is indeed plastic--recommended by all for durability, ease of installation and upkeep, etc., but wouldn't we all be happier if we could have maintained a genuine wood house?

I did more scraping on the porch.  Johnny gave me a lesson so I can now sharpen the blades on the scrapers myself, so perhaps I will make great progress this weekend.

As I scraped, a load of laundry dried on the line.   These sunny days are fewer and fewer, so pleased I managed to get the benefits of solar clothes drying.

With the predictions of major snow accompanied by warnings to stay off the roads, the stores were filled with shoppers stocking up on storm provisions.

I was hoping to buy more of that excellent Siberian Kale from Walnut Grove, my neighborhood organic farm, but alas, although they were up and running last week, they appeared to be closed for the season.

Neither Hayek's nor Shoprite was closed, enabling me to buy ingredients for a beef stew which seems like the perfect thing to cook on a snowbound day.

No comments:

Post a Comment