Saturday, October 29, 2011

Falling branches, heavy snow.

Transfixed most of the day by fast falling snow, I thought I was performing appropriate storm alert duties by slowly cooking a beef stew all day, but in fact I should have been doing a few outside chores.

The main danger of these early storms is that the wet snow, clinging to the leaves that are still on the trees, put so much weight on the branches that they snap off, and can easily fall on power lines and cause loss of power. I'd read this warning, and assumed there wasn't much I could do about it.  This wasn't quite true.
After a day of alternating between hovering over the steamy stove and circling the little electric heater upstairs, I decided it was time to venture out.

The maple tree in front, which lost its leaves weeks ago, bore the snow as a tree in winter tree should.  

Other trees and bushes, still bearing their leaves didn't fare as well.

snow laden bushes and trees
The first casualty I spotted was the decades old lilac bush at the corner of the house.  No power lines were broken, but the trees old branches, still full of leaves had been so bowed by the heavy snow that many had already split.  The other two lilacs near the garage were similarly bowed, with broken branches as well.

It was too late for complete salvation, but wielding my broom, I batted the snow off the laden branches and got to see them swing up in gratitude.    The snow was continuing to fall heavily so it is quite possible that they could still bend and break during the night.  I must have been quite a sight swinging my broom at the piles of snow.  I'll know in the morning if I staved the damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment