Friday, September 17, 2010

Journal: September 17th. Kol Nidre.

Kol Nidre tonight in the city.  Breakfast tomorrow night at Jackie's.  I'm carefully timing my departure to arrive on Wooster Street just as parking becomes legal at 6pm.  Services at 7.  Many chores before I leave.  Regular garbage day.  That is something that is now routine and manageable.  Buying more tomatoes for gazpacho.  I already have pounds more than necessary, but it is coming to the end of the tomato season so it seems appropriate to bring bushels into the city to distribute as new years gifts.

First a stop at the garlic farm--early Friday is the only time they actually have produce (or so it seems).  I get a pound of green beans and some garlic. 

Then another trip to Hilltop Greenhouse to pick another ten (or is it twenty?) pounds.  Ideal farms for red, yellow and green peppers.  Windy Brow for apples--because they are excellent and everyone is always pleased to have fresh country apples.

All this fruit and vegetable shopping feels extraordinarily productive--even more so, I'd imagine, as work is continuing on house.  Porch looks better every day.  Soon I'll buy stones for wall.  So much has been done, and most of the work is still ahead.  oy.  Sometimes I think it's a good thing I can barely imagine it.  If I really understood what I was in for, I'd probably have quit long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment