Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Journal: November 3

Front of house insulated
Election news doesn't get much cheerier (except for California--when did that loony state  become a last outpost of sanity), but great strides on the house.  As we know, preparation takes forever, but once that is done, all moves relatively swiftly.  The entire front is now covered with hard foam insulation.  Neatly cut and tacked up, it does strike me as an almost acceptable wall-covering.  But they will not let me stop there.

While insulating, they've made new window frames which greatly improve things.  Needless to say, over the years the windows were never properly framed.  The insulation was the good news of the day.  The bad part of the day was continuing news analysis of the dread mid-term election. As I listened to the bad election news (against my better judgement), the bit of bonding on my front tooth chipped off--creating a fine witch-like appearance.  I luckily managed to snag a dentist appointment for 10am tomorrow, but a bit later, turning on the faucet to continue my baseboard labors--no water at all.  I assumed (hoped) that Johnny and George might have turned it off, but they had not.   George did discover that the switch for the pump circulator was completely corroded.  He was able to get it to work by poking around with a screw driver, but again, I am waiting for tomorrow when John will be coming to put in new motors for the four heating zones.
window with insulation

While waiting for tomorrow, I took to the country roads last night, despite my aversion to driving after dark, and met Margaret at the Byram town hall where they were showing King Corn, a quite excellent documentary about the total dominance of corn in our diets--and a good way to get through the potentially water-less night.

No comments:

Post a Comment