Monday, September 26, 2011

Too many days of rain. Off to the city for the New Year

Many many days and nights of rain.  Water rising everywhere.  No need to water the newly planted vegetation, but that is a job I enjoy, so no rejoicing there.

very old wood
Work slowly progressing.  More rotten beams, but also areas of quite intact very old wood.  A section near the dining room door is particularly old and evocative.  Eventually they will be ready to put up the siding.

Just as I was delighting in raccoon triumphs and not worrying about more bumps in the night--I was awakened by a tremendous rattling and dripping.  Torrents of rain rattling the gutter that was still on the back of the house--and as I discovered in the morning, the removal of another gutter had provided the opportunity for the rain to find its way into the wreckage of the new room.

I had ignored it in the night, but come the dim light of the rainy day, I put buckets and basins under many of the leaks, and watched them fill with wonder.   To clarify, they filled ever-so rapidly with water, which caused no end of wonder.

I called George and he and Johnny soon arrived to put up a tarp which stopped all leaking.  I did some serious mopping before heading into the city for a round of New Year dinners, Buddhist interpretations, major walks and other urban delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment