Friday, July 30, 2010

Journal: July 30. Glacier Blue Siding

Glacier Blue Siding on house in Fredon.
Another Friday. Another garbage day. Sam'leaves at dawn on Monday. The morning was devoted to cleaning out the garage, given both the limitations of curbside pick-up and the amount of recyclables we can squeeze into the car to take to the dump

The main task--a heart-breaking one--well--not completely heart breaking, but surely not pleasant was tearing the covers off of moldy books--the pages get recyled with paper, the covers with cardboard. The books spanned decades and generations. We filled too many black plastic bags with ruined books.

We took four bags and the big green moldy arm chair to the end of the road for Hampton pick-up--then loaded the car with cardboard, bags of paper and cans and bottles for a visit to the recyling center. A quick stop at the Post Office, then home to wait for Norma and Roger Lesser, driving up from DC.

Sam went off with his new machete, while I readied the house for guests.

As soon as they arrived--after 4, Norma and I headed out to go to Windy Brow to buy corn for dinner. Huge traffic jam in Newton distracted us--missed the turn. Trying to work my way back to Route 519, I turned into a housing development and stumbled upon a house that had the exact color siding I wanted. Just because i have not been writing about color choices, don't think for a minute that I have not been obsessing--I've just been trying to keep it under control. 

As evidence of my relative success,   I hadn't previously mentioned my color concerns to Norma, but there was no concealing it now.  I pulled over, and, due to problems of vision as well as an undeveloped sense of vinyl detection, I actually had to go up to the house to make sure it wasn't wood.  This tapping on the vinyl (for indeed, vinyl it was) alerted the resident dog, who alerted the residents themselves.  They, as homeowners usually are, were delighted that I had stopped to admire their siding and informed me that it was Glacier Blue (though gray it certainly looked) from Northwest Siding, a venue I was already familiar with.

So--the discovery of Glacier Blue was the triumph of the day which continued with a visit to Windy Brow where he bought peaches and plums, tomato and corn for dinner, returned home and grilled up a storm--the marinating chicken, corn, many salads, and then took a quick drive to hyper humus for a fine and civilized sunset walk.

1 comment:

  1. It really feels good to re-wrap your house with such a beautiful color like that. It looked cool from the outside; which is a good choice. But hey, does it had the same color as your roof? I wish they're not, they would look confusing.

    KatchMark.com

    ReplyDelete